15 May 2011

A Neglectful Book Blogger

I haven't posted much since I started my book blog not too long ago and this makes me crazy sad!! I have finally finished this semester of school which definitely took a load off, but now I'm busy again. My grandma is publishing a memoir and I have been proofreading and formatting it for weeks now. And editing, and editing, and editing. But I am so honored to be a part in helping create her book. My grandma is one of the most amazing people in this world and I really do believe people will be inspired by her memoir. We are in the final stages of editing it now and then it's off to the publisher! I am so excited! 


My Grandparents

A short story of how it all began...
My grandma has been writing for years and years now. She is a retired English teacher and lives half the year here in Kentucky with the family and the other half in Florida where she and my grandpa bought a little house that they call their pink paradise. She decided to self-publish a memoir and have some copies made just for family and friends. I started reading and I was just completely blown away! Granted, she was an English teacher for many years, but I don't think that constitutes how incredibly well she writes. Her memoir is witty, funny, sad, happy... all the emotions someone could even feel while reading a book. I know no matter what, my opinion of her book will always be biased because she is the one person in this world I can always count on for anything and everything. But I also know from my love of reading (which was undoubtedly passed down from her to me), that this book is amazing. Okay.. enough of praising... back to the story! Then she decided to send a short excerpt to a couple of publishers. That's when it hit the fan. Every single publisher that had read an excerpt wanted her book! Even one really exclusive publisher (I won't say who since she didn't go with them) said, "Ma'am, we don't accept many books because we are here to make money. You're book will make us a lot of money." OMG! How crazy is that?!? She finally picked a publisher that she deemed trustworthy and honest. I want to say who it is, but I'm not sure if we can yet until it's published. (I didn't read the fine print on the contract and wouldn't have understood it anyways.) 


So she started out wanting to pay for some books for the family and now she's talking to the CEO of one publishing company, is already signed up for her first book signing, and has a massive list of people who want to be there. Isn't this a fairy tale? I told her if she got on Oprah (which she said she didn't really care to haha), then I want tickets to the one show where she gives all kinds of stuff away to the audience! 


All in all, I really do love this book. My love of reading started out with the historical fiction genre, then memoirs (none about celebrities.. sorry famous people, but I'm just not interested), and then the list goes on. I honestly feel like if I saw this book at the store or read the description somewhere, I would definitely buy it. 


So I'm off to get back to editing. I can't wait to see her face when I show her a cute little footprint picture I put at the beginning of each chapter! (Ssshhh... that'll be our secret!) And as soon as I'm done here, I will be a full fledged book blogger and I'll end up shutting blogger down with all my posts. Haha. Until then!!

4 comments:

  1. That is friggin amazing. Do we have a title yet or know what it's about? Cuz I'd love to add it to my list. Congrats to your grandma. Mine was my best friend and I lost her this past November. Enjoy it and cherish it. Those are memories you will have forever. I know I will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I can't wait to read it. I love stories about real people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I really appreciate hearing what you think! The memoir is called A Barefoot Life by Ardoth Hardin Wilkerson. It's a memoir of her life from when she was little up to now. I'll definitely let all my book lover friends know about it as soon as its available! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's fantastic taht you are helping your grandma edit her own book. So happy for her publication too! Congrats! I wouldn't worry about not blogging when you have so much going on :) That experience is definitely important!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS